Thursday, April 24, 2008

Love and journalism

I realize that not everyone in the multimedia class is considering photojournalism as a career, but there are a couple of us, so I thought I'd just bring up the topic of relationships. In the documentary class, one of the final words of wisdom from Johnny was that relationships are hard to maintain as photojournalists. He said that any of us who intended on taking on the mantle should be prepared to miss those special occasions -- birthdays, anniversaries, date nights (but never, ever miss the birth of a child) -- should we choose to have a longterm significant other.

I'm not saying that it's impossible. I'm sure it is. But it's often quoted that journalism is a lonesome business:
  • "Working as a photojournalist can be lonely and difficult." ~ Aidan Sullivan, vice president for for editorial photographer relations of Getty Images
  • "The job can be lonely, and patience and perseverance are required to get the right shot, at the right time." ~Skillset.org
I'm not really trying to be a doom-and-gloom type, but I just always here about the solitary photographer, the lonesome and dogged photojournalist hauling around half a dozen cameras with a slightly bewildered and anti-social glaze in his or her eyes.

Just to show you it's not all dark and unhappy, I did find a short piece -- multimedia, in fact -- about maintaining relationships in hard places. I mean, a lot of it is general tips and hints, but it all pertains to the topic at hand. So take it all in, enjoy it all, and love makes the world go 'round. ... well, that and a couple of overbearing cosmic forces. Or God. Whichever. Anyway, here's the link.
Yes, I did all that just to lead up to a RickRoll'ing. Ha!
See y'all around.

2 comments:

Anon said...

Wow, I was totally drawn in by your post. It's something I've thought a lot about before... but that link at the end was just evil. Never thought I'd get rickroll'd on a class blog...

sguevara said...

and to think I took your request to watch you "multimedia" piece seriously *tear*