Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Weekend Workshop

This weekend was amazing. Actually, this weekend was more than amazing; it reignited my passion for photojournalism and journalism in general. I also found a new love: video. I am beyond inspired. The things I learned and the progress I saw just from the three days we were out shooting makes me proud to be the next generation of journalists.

I will continue to improve my story-telling skills as I make my way from the classroom to the field. I will take every bit of advice and criticism that I have absorbed from this weekend and take it to heart. It is true that we have to care about people; they are the force that drive our stories.

Thanks to all of the editors that came out and shared their knowledge with me. Your words have truly touched me. Mark, thank you. Thank you for everything. I only hope that I might be invited to one of these workshops in the future.

4 comments:

mammola said...

I'll second your enthusiasm about the weekend.
It was great to compare my skills with those of the skills of the folks seriously in the business.
I can't quite decide if this was the best weekend I've had as a student in Grady, or one of the worst weekends. The answer to that, I suppose, all depends on what sprouts out from my experiences during it.
Beforehand, I was completely unsure what to expect. I'm still not entirely sure what did happen, but I think I got dipped into a vat of storytelling and some of it stained me.

Anon said...

Can I third that enthusiasm?

At first it was stressful, but after I got a little more used to the equipment and software, I was having a blast.

I just want to get a camera, go out, and find more stories. The feeling I got after talking to people, finding different camera angles, editing all that video, and then seeing the finished product was priceless.

I hope those of us that aren't graduating will be able to explore video more next semester with the Grady website.

the_franchise said...

i also got the video love, it's contagious.

Jake Clark said...

Group video editing is fun. You can come up with some pretty cool stuff when three or four people are messing around, bouncing ideas off of one another.