Friday, March 28, 2008

Fun with time-lapse


Here's a pretty cool video I pulled off youtube featuring the glorious world that is time-lapse recording, or interval recording, depending on who you ask. I'm sure you have all seen footage like this before, but I have always found this kind of work to be absolutely fascinating. A friend and I actually went to Atlanta last night to try our own hand at shooting some time-lapse footage of the city skyline at sunset. We used one of Grady's Sony PV-150s to shoot 2 seconds of footage every 5 minutes. The result is pretty cool, with 6 or so hours of real-time condensed down to a simple 2 minute video clip. However, our footage lacks that fluid, continuous motion feel exhibited by this particular video, so next time we plan to shoot shorter increments of video but on a more frequent basis, say half a second once every minute, in order to speed up the pacing of the transition between day and night. Once we have the footage captured I'll see if I can't post it here for you to check out. Also, I did a little web browsing and it looks like the Sony HVR-A1s we have been using might also be able to time-lapse footage using the still photography mode with the solid state memory stick. I'll check it out and post anything I find.

1 comment:

Beth Cooper said...

this is pretty sweet...i especially like the time-lapse with the planes...so surreal..i guess that's the best word maybe?

oh yes...that would be really cool to see your time lapse. even if you can't post it, i think you should at least bring it to show the class