Thursday, February 21, 2008

"The DV Rebel's Guide"...


...is essentially the Bible for all things related to digital filmmaking, as well as the sole classroom text I can honestly admit to having read cover to cover more than once. Though the techniques described by Stu Maschwitz (author and digital video genius) are definitely geared more towards those interested in narrative filmmaking, the message he puts forth applies much the same to all types of video production. That message, in and of itself, is quite simple: production value is what your audience sees, feels, and believes when they experience your finished product. It is the "perceived quality" of the finished video or movie, and is in no way tied to the budget of a given production. Throughout the text, Maschwitz demonstrates that even when filmmaking with a low-to-no budget, production value can still be achieved simply by cutting a few corners here and there. So, for a rather enjoyable and fairly quick read, I would definitely recommend checking this one out. The practical knowledge it puts forth is both eye-opening and amusing, and each and every time I find myself reading it I can't help but feel more inspired about experimenting with new and different tricks and techniques the next time I find myself behind the camera. As cheesy as that may sound, you'll see what I mean...

See more about the book at its main website here: The DV Rebel's Guide

No comments: