Thursday, January 24, 2008

Chattanooga Times Free Press reports on snow (and ice, oh my!)

A good friend of mine happens to be interning as a photographer up (and over) at the Chattanooga Times Free Press. As such, I tend to check their website on a regular basis in order to check up on mi amiga. As I was perusing their multimedia section, I spotted this great two-day package on the snow that hit the south a few days ago.

What do you think? I'm not too sure how I feel about the layout of the package, however, it is something that I've never seen before. Is it effective?

3 comments:

Jake Daniels said...

I think the pieces were pretty cool -- just quick little things that were put together competently and in a short amount of time. As to the overall layout, I think it does somewhat simplify things, makes it easy to understand, but something feels a little bland about it. Not that that's anything bad. Also -- why so many sledders?

Adam Lipper said...

As a semi-Northerner, although Mr. Johnson would probably disagree, I find this amusing. Theirs barely an inch on the ground. But since Chattanooga rarely gets snow, I guess it's okay. The overall page looked like a powerpoint slide, which I found bland. I thought some of the pictures were neat, but others were pointless and added nothing to the package - the one of the dog with the stick in its mouth had very little to do with snow. The clip of the sledding was good. Overall, it was decent. I'll give the Free Press a break since they're unaccustomed to covering the snow.

Mark E. Johnson said...

I might not kill you for taking a photo of a lamp post, but it'd better be falling or have some reason for it.

The teal color was picked up (poorly) from the main photo. I see some really bad flash work in here, some uncontrolled backgrounds and a lack of moments.

The TFP staff has some very good shooters on it, not one of their better moments.