Thursday, January 17, 2008

History of the Fortune Cookie

Multimedia journalism is not just limited to hard news stories. As you can see at the New York Times, you can create an audio slideshow about something as seemingly insignificant as the history of the fortune cookie. It's short, to the point, and interesting. While you should always try to set your sights on big projects, it's little pieces like this that seem like they would be easy and fun to complete, quickly racking up a huge library of audio slideshows.

-Rusty

3 comments:

anna said...

dude that's cool. at first I was like, why would I care about this? oh well, I have to comment about something. but then I watched it and now I kind of feel like setting the fortune cookie record straight with everyone I know.

Krista Franks said...

While this piece was not overly captivating, it was a nice, short piece on a fun topic. I think that the audio might have been a little lacking. The woman's voice talking through the whole piece with no other sounds or voices made it sound a little like a classroom lecture.

Mark E. Johnson said...

Agree on the classroom lecture comment, Krista - it needs some nat sound, something to punch it up.

But as a simple piece, it gives another level of information to the readers. Not everything is about war and poverty.

And now I want a fortune cookie album ...