Thursday, January 24, 2008

take-away concerts

Some French people made this huge series of videos which are like mini-concerts on-the-go. There's pretty much no editing except in the beginning when they intro the band, and the camera is sometimes shaky and/or swaying but it's always in motion, but I think the informal way of filming goes with the informal way of playing, and it includes all the ambient noise of the bar or street or wherever as part of the show. I watched some of these at work today w/ headphones on and forgot where I was for a few minutes. They're very nice. I think there've been spinoffs of this idea but I haven't checked em out. Question. How sweet would it be if someone did this with Athens bands? Answer. Way sweet.

Beirut plays "The Penalty" in a bar


Grizzly Bear sings "The Knife" on the street

Arcade Fire plays Neon Bible in an elevator and Wake Up in a huge crowd

and I really like when
Vampire Weekend plays "Mansard Roof" in a van thing

No comments: